Pestxpert Pro Outdoor Perimeter Spraying
As the temperature warms, everyone is thinking about clearing the yard for outdoor entertaining, which often leads to cleaning the garage and then the house – a good Spring clean! If you give your house and yard one more time, now is a good time to do a general pest treatment, to avoid insect outbreaks later in the season.
Black House spiders like to make their webs around windows, doors and eaves
In most parts of Australia, insect activity slows down during the colder months, but when temperatures start to warm, insects become more active and start looking for places to shelter and bear fruit Doing preventive treatments inside and outside the house in the Spring, when the number of pests is low, will help prevent the increase of the insect population and avoid possible pest outbreaks in the Summer. As we all know, pest infestations can be irritating and annoying, as well as very difficult to control.
Some homeowners use a professional pest controller to carry out their pest treatments, but with a little knowledge and the right products, it’s relatively straightforward to do the job yourself. There are several important maintenance measures that also reduce the number of pests, which should be done before the pest treatment. Here are our tips for treating Spring pests inside and outside your home. It’s always best to start outside, as in most cases the pests are outside trying to get in!
- Clean up any garden beds adjacent to the house – best plants next to the house should be kept to a minimum
- Dispose of any trash around and under the house
- Cut back any branches above the overhanging roof
- Fill any cracks/holes that pests can enter
- Check insect screens and draft excluders are in good condition
Use a long lasting residual spray to treat the following areas
- The perimeter of the house – 1m up the wall and 1m from the wall
- Around windows and doors, cracks/crevices and other insect entry points
- Under the alims
- Under the sub-floor (if you have one)
The PestXpert Outdoor Perimeter Spray – a ready-to-use 3L pump pack with a 1m spray wand, is a great option.
If ants show signs of activity on lawns and pavers, directly treat the nests with insecticide spray or use insecticide granule / sand to treat the required area. It is even better to use PestXpert Nest Kill ant bait to completely eliminate nests.
- Clean up any dropped food in cupboards and under furniture
- Clean inside and under pots, refrigerators, dishwashers, microwaves and toasters
- Check the kitchen, bathroom and laundry for leaks (and fix them – bugs love moisture!)
Use a long-lasting residual spray to treat the following areas:
- Spray around the kitchen, laundry and bathroom and under cupboards/furniture
- To prevent pests from entering the kitchen cupboards, remove food, furniture and utensils and spray their sides.
- To prevent fabric pests from entering closets and drawers, remove clothing and spray around the edges of drawers, shelving and the base of built-ins.
PestXpert Indoor / Outdoor and PestXpert Pro-Spray Crawling aerosol are good options for internal treatments because they both have a nozzle to get under cabinets and get into cracks and crevices.
Using a pest fogger/pump, such as the PestXpert Pro-Fogger, can also be a good option. Although most people only use it when they have a flea or cockroach infestation, it can be a great preventative option, providing months of protection. When used in bedrooms, the fine mist penetrates all wardrobes and drawers providing protection against silverfish and other clothing pests.
Doing your own pest treatment will not only save you the cost of a professional, but a pest treatment will make you feel in control – safe and secure in your home.
PestXpert recommended products
PestXpert Nest Kill ant bait
PestXpert Pro-Spray outdoors
PestXpert Pro-Spray Crawling
PestXpert Pro-Spray indoor and outdoor